When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more...
Screen protectors are a necessary addition to your phone accessory kit if you want to keep your screen nice and new. They help prevent scratches and cracks that accumulate over time.
Here are five questions and answers about phone displays and screen protectors to make you better informed. Let’s get started!
- Gorilla Glass is a highly durable and scratch-resistant material, but it is not completely scratch-proof. To protect your device from drops, a screen protector is recommended.
- Most screen protectors do not affect touch sensitivity, but low-quality protectors may cause issues. It’s recommended to use tempered glass protectors for increased lifespan.
- A clean screen protector will not affect camera quality, but if pictures appear blurry, the protector may be scratched or have some dust buildup.
- Using tempered glass may cause slight distortion in images near the edges and may cause tone shifts and lower sharpness in the image quality.
- Using a screen protector on rear cameras may cause issues with flash photography due to light reflection.
Do gorilla glass devices need screen protectors?
Gorilla Glass is an extremely durable, scratch-resistant glass, but it’s not completely scratch-proof. So, you need a screen protector in case you drop your phone because it might not survive the fall and its screen will crack.
Tempered glass screen protectors are used to absorb the damage from the drop. That’s why it can shatter into tiny pieces on impact. The point is to avoid damaging the screen itself since replacing it can be quite expensive.
Is gorilla glass stronger than tempered glass?
Depending on the version of Gorilla Glass, it can be stronger than tempered glass. In general, the latest versions(GG 6 and Gorilla Glass Victus 2) are much more durable.
Corning, in particular, announced that their new Gorilla Glass 6 “can survive 15 drops onto hard surfaces from 1 meter or higher without breaking”.
There are many different types of Gorilla Glass such as:
- Gorilla Glass 6
- Gorilla Glass 5
- Gorilla Glass SR+
- Gorilla Glass NBT
- Large Cover Gorilla Glass and more.
Do screen protectors affect touch sensitivity?
Most screen protectors don’t affect touch sensitivity at all. They are specifically designed this way. However, if you purchase one of very low quality, there is a possibility you may experience some screen sensitivity issues.
It’s recommended you purchase tempered glass protectors which also come with an increased lifespan.
In the majority of cases, touch sensitivity issues will appear if you either use 2 screen protectors on top of each other(not many people are gonna do that) or just some of the ridiculously cheap Chinese ones.
Can a screen protector affect the camera quality?
If your screen protector is clean, the image quality of your camera should be the same. If your pictures start appearing blurry, your protector is most likely scratched in a specific spot or dust has started building up between the phone display and the screen protector.
- In the case of using tempered glass, due to its thickness, there might be some “problems” close to the sides of the images. Might look like the vignette effect that many photographers use.
- Your screen protector may not be completely colorless or transparent and hence causing some tone shifts and lower sharpness in your image quality.
- If you use a screen protector on your rear cameras, you may have issues when taking photos using the flash. It’s very common for the glass to reflect the light coming from your flash. I’d recommend you just use the phone case as protection for the back cameras. It’s more than enough if your phone falls on a flat surface.
You might not be able to totally eliminate the risk of breaking or scratching up your phone display, but at the very least, you can spend less time worrying about it and more time enjoying your device!
If you’ve ever cracked the screen of your phone, you know how expensive and annoying it can be.
As such, buying a high-quality screen protector is generally a wise investment that protects your phone while keeping them usable and looking brand new.
Sidenote: If you are interested in getting IT certifications, make sure you check out ExamLabs. They have courses for networking, data analytics, and much more that could help you with smartphone software issues.