When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more...
Screen protectors have become very popular over the last few years. What happens if you drop your phone from a small height and the damage is less significant? The protector will crack but it won’t be completely shattered.
Can it still protect your phone? Should you leave it as it is and replace it only when it’s shattered? Well, it’s time to give some much-needed answers…
- A tempered glass screen protector should be replaced every 2-3 years or sooner if it shows signs of wear and tear.
- A cracked tempered glass screen protector can still offer some protection but it is highly recommended to replace it as it can no longer absorb the same amount of kinetic energy.
- A broken tempered glass screen protector will not damage the phone display, but it may affect the viewing experience and reduce the responsiveness of the screen.
- To replace a screen protector, remove the old one and clean off any residue, apply a new tempered glass screen protector and line up the edges, and use the wet wipe to clean any dust or dirt from around the edges.
Should I replace my cracked tempered glass screen protector?
You should typically aim to replace your screen protector every 2-3 years depending on its condition.
If you see any signs of wear and tear on it, you may have to change it with a new one even sooner. In most cases, you’ll be able to tell if it’s time to do that just by looking at it.
If your tempered glass screen protector is cracked but not totally shattered, it can still offer some amount of protection (depending on the size of the crack) to your phone.
Nevertheless, it’s highly recommended to replace it as it can no longer absorb the same amount of kinetic energy.
Can a broken tempered glass screen protector damage the phone display?
Tempered glass shatters into a thousand little pieces once it’s been damaged.
This may affect your viewing experience, and reduce the responsiveness of your screen but it WILL NOT DAMAGE IT even if you don’t immediately remove all the pieces of glass.
How to replace a screen protector
To make sure you get the most out of your tempered glass screen protector, follow these steps:
- Remove your old tempered glass screen protector and clean off any residue with a microfiber cloth. If there are marks or scratches on your phone’s display, gently rub them with the microfiber cloth until they’re gone.
- Apply a new tempered glass screen protector. Make sure you line up the edges with those of your phone’s display—this will help prevent bubbles from forming under the glass as well.
- Use the wet wipe included in this kit to clean off any dust or dirt from around the edges of your device after applying a new tempered glass screen protector; this will keep it from getting trapped under the edge and causing a bubble to form there later on down the road!
- Tempered glass consists of two pieces of glass that are adhered to the screen. All a tempered glass protector does is uniformly disperse the strength of distortion hence it can’t be as efficient as a complete piece would be.
- Nowadays, a lot of phones come with a Gorilla Glass display so they are pretty durable against scratches and falls. These will most likely not even need a screen protector.
The Bottom Line
If the cracks on your tempered glass are very minor, you might not even need to replace them. However, it will no longer offer 99% protection to your display. It’s essentially up to your personal preference whether you wanna take your chances or not.
I would personally advise you to replace your protector as soon as it cracks. There is no need to take any unnecessary risk whatsoever. As always, let me know in the comments if you have further questions. Have a wonderful day and take care!